For every device, including routers, there is a unique identifier named the MAC address. You can find this MAC address on your product’s guide or its web access page. You can add the MAC address of a network device to your Netgear router using the Access Control or MAC Address Filtering option.
What is the use of a MAC address in a router?
You can enable the access control feature of the router using the MAC address. That means you can only allow specific or known devices to access your network. Follow the simple steps given below to know how To Add Mac Address To Netgear Router using the router’s web interface.
- Check if there is an update available for your Netgear router.
- If yes, update it, and then begin the process.
- Open a web browser on your computer.
- Type the Netgear router’s URL or IP address --- 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1 --- in the address bar of your web browser.
- In the login dialog box, type your Netgear router’s credentials.
- Note: The default credentials of the Netgear router are username: admin and password: password.
- Now, on your router’s web access page, click the ADVANCED tab.
- Select the Security option followed by Access Control.
- Note: If the Access Control option is not displayed, then check if your Netgear router supports this option in its user guide.
- Locate and select the Turn on Access Control option by clicking the checkbox beside it.
- Make sure to enable this option before setting up the access rule.
- Note: All devices, including the blocked one, can access your Netgear router network if the Access Control option is disabled.
- Now, two Access Control rules Allow all new devices to connect and Block all new devices from connecting will appear on the screen.
- Allow all new devices to connect: Lets any device to connect to your Netgear router network without using its MAC address.
- Block all new devices from connecting: When this option is enabled, only the devices that are added using its MAC address are allowed to access your network.
- Enter the MAC address of all the devices you wish to provide access to.
- Click the Allow button if you wish to continue access to the device you are currently using.
- After adding the MAC address of all the devices in the given fields, click the Apply button.
- We have seen how To Add Mac Address To Netgear Router.